Hello! We’re so excited to be walking for Candlelighters this year! On this event we celebrate our little warrior’s life. Christopher is a two year old currently battling an optic pathway glioma. On June 2020 our lives changed drastically after discovering that our little boy has a brain tumor. The brain tumor can only be contained if he undergoes radiation but due to risk it puts his life in he won’t be able to do it until he is at least 10 years old. Our treatment plan is to meanwhile stabilize the tumor with chemotherapy. Christopher did multiple lines of chemotherapy for nearly a year but they were all unsuccessful. On June 2021, Christopher underwent a resection of the brain tumor and lost most of vision and developed multiple hormone deficiencies. On December 2021, we were told we had to restart chemotherapy again for an entire year. Christopher has proven to us how much he thrives to live and how resilient he truly is. The impact this situation has had on us can not be described. The candlelighter’s became a huge support system when things have gotten tough. This organization has been heaven sent to us. Today we are asking for donations on behalf my boy to help us and other families who are having to experience this difficult situation. Absolutely anything makes a difference. Thank you for visiting our page!
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
1. Hospital Parking Assistance - this remains Candlelighters #1 request from childhood cancer families as it costs them $15 per day to park at the Texas Medical Center for treatment
2. Emotional Support - childhood cancer families are still restricted when it comes to gatherings, hospital visitation guidelines, school attendace and more. Over the last year it's become even more apparent just how important Candlelighters peer-to-peer support efforts are. Their weekly support group meetings have grown, and Candlelighters Parent Consultants (staff who are also parents of childhood cancer survivors) are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with families and their needs.
3. Gas Cards & Grocery Cards - daily out-of-pocket costs continue to be a financial burden for childhood cancer families and Candlelighters is dedicated to making life easier by providing support to families in these ways.
4. Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and gaining their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
5. Bell Ringing in a Box - Due to hospital restrictions, bell ringing celebrations (sygnifying the end of cancer treatment!) are not being allowed in the hospitals. Candlelighters is helping families celebrate their cancer survivor and this tremendous milestone with celebratory supplies for their bell ringing ceremony at home with their loved ones!
7. Camp CLIFF - Candlelighters has held their annual family camp, Camp CLIFF, virtually the past two years, providing a weekend full of fun for the whole family at home. They are still in discussion with our Board of Directors (including pediatric oncologists) over this year's camping decision. Stay tuned! But donations will allow Candlelighters to host whatever camp we can safely - whether in person or virtual camp is a lifechanging experience for our childhood cancer families.
Thank you for supporting my efforts for this amazing organization. Whatever you can give, thank you for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!