It's Candlelighters Fun Walk time again and I would love for you to support me!
This summer marks my 5 year anniversary with Candlelighters and I am still so grateful to have found this wonderful calling for my professional career!
The Fun Walk raises money for Candlelighters services and programs which are offered FREE to children with cancer and their families. This past year looked quite different than most for childhood cancer families, and while the world is slowly getting back to “normal” – Candlelighters must continue to put the immunosuppressed first and has continued to adapt their programs and services to reach families of children with cancer in a safe space in 2021.
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
1. Hospital Parking Assistance – this remains our #1 request from families and we've moved our program to be provided digitally
2. Emotional Support – childhood cancer families are still restricted when it comes to gatherings, hospital visiting guidelines, school attendance and more so over the last year it’s become even more apparent just how important our peer-to-peer support efforts are. Our weekly support group meetings have grown, and our Parent Consultants are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with our families and their needs.
3. Gas Cards & Grocery Cards – traveling into the Texas Medical Center is still a financial burden for some families, this support is always much appreciated
4. Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and earning their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
5. NEW PROGRAM IN 2021! Bell Ringing in a Box – when we polled our families in 2020, they chose where they would like to see Candlelighters make a new effort for our children with cancer, and that is helping them celebrate their end of treatment milestone with celebratory supplies for their bell ringing ceremony! Due to hospital restrictions, bell ringing celebrations are still not being offered in the hospitals and so we want to help our families celebrate at home with their loved ones!
6. As in 2020, we have made the tough decision to hold our family camp, Camp CLIFF, virtually this year, and as always, Fun Walk funds will go towards this lifechanging experience for our childhood cancer families.
Whatever you can give, thank you for supporting me and for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!