I am sponsoring a Fun Walk Team this year in memory of our daughter, Ellen, who died of brain cancer at the age of 7 in 2001, and in memory of my husband and Ellen's father, Stan, who passed away in November 2021. Candlelighters provided tremendous support to our family throughout Ellen’s treatment, so we are committed to raising funds for Candlelighters to help other families of children with cancer. Stan was an active volunteer for Candlelighters and served as a counselor at our family camp for many years. Please consider contributing to Candlelighters on behalf of the Ellen and Stan O’Neal Team.
The Fun Walk raises money for our services and programs which are offered FREE to children with cancer and their families. Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
1. Hospital Parking Assistance - this remains Candlelighters #1 request from childhood cancer families as it costs them $15 per day to park at the Texas Medical Center for treatment.
2. Emotional Support - childhood cancer families are still restricted when it comes to gatherings, hospital visitation guidelines, school attendance and more. Over the last year it's become even more apparent just how important Candlelighters peer-to-peer support efforts are. Their weekly support group meetings have grown, and Candlelighters Parent Consultants (staff who are also parents of childhood cancer survivors) are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with families and their needs.
3. Gas and Grocery Cards - daily out-of-pocket costs continue to be a financial burden for childhood cancer families and Candlelighters is dedicated to making life easier by providing support to families in these ways.
4. Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and gaining their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
5. Bell Ringing in a Box - Due to hospital restrictions, bell ringing celebrations (signifying the end of cancer treatment!) are not being allowed in the hospitals. Candlelighters is helping families celebrate their cancer survivor and this tremendous milestone with celebratory supplies for their bell ringing ceremony at home with their loved ones!
6. Camp CLIFF - donations will allow Candlelighters to host a safe, lifechanging camp experience for our childhood cancer families.
Here's how you can help:
Thank you for supporting my efforts for this amazing organization. Whatever you can give, thank you for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!