Nathaniel Foster drew our mascot cheetah over 13 years ago. The Foster family created this team to honor Nathaniel's life and help this wonderful organization. This year we have added a twist. All donations $100 and over will receive a Nathaniel's Animals custom shell from South Port Sea Shells, an enterprise run by a nine year old sailor raising money for her first one person sailboat. Her family has supported Candlelighters in the past and together we want to make a difference in the lives of Candlelighters' families, one shell at a time.
Candlelighters provides daily services for childhood cancer families and the Fun Walk raises money for those services and programs which are offered FREE to children with cancer and their families. This has obviously changed quite a bit since COVID-19 hit, and I'm happy to be able to provide real-time results of how Candlelighters has adapted their processes to continue their mission throughout this trying time.
Here's how you can help:
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
1. Hospital Parking Assistance - this remains Candlelighters #1 request from childhood cancer families as it costs them $15 per day to park at the Texas Medical Center for treatment.
2. Emotional Support - childhood cancer families are still restricted when it comes to gatherings, hospital visitation guidelines, school attendance and more. Over the last year it's become even more apparent just how important Candlelighters peer-to-peer support efforts are. Their weekly support group meetings have grown, and Candlelighters Parent Consultants (staff who are also parents of childhood cancer survivors) are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with families and their needs.
3. Gas and Grocery Cards - daily out-of-pocket costs continue to be a financial burden for childhood cancer families and Candlelighters is dedicated to making life easier by providing support to families in these ways.
4. Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and gaining their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
5. Bell Ringing in a Box - Due to hospital restrictions, bell ringing celebrations (signifying the end of cancer treatment!) are not being allowed in the hospitals. Candlelighters is helping families celebrate their cancer survivor and this tremendous milestone with celebratory supplies for their bell ringing ceremony at home with their loved ones!
6. Camp CLIFF - donations will allow Candlelighters to host a safe, lifechanging camp experience for our childhood cancer families.
Thank you for supporting my efforts for this amazing organization. Whatever you can give, thank you for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!
We hope to see you there!