The Fun Walk raises money for Candlelighters services and programs which are offered FREE to children with cancer and their families. This past year looked quite different than most for childhood cancer families, and while the world is slowly getting back to “normal” – Candlelighters must continue to put the immunosuppressed first and has continued to adapt their programs and services to reach families of children with cancer in a safe space.
Here's what Fun Walk donations will be used toward this year:
- Hospital Parking Assistance – this remains Candlelighters #1 request from childhood cancer families as it costs them $15 per day to park at the Texas Medical Center for treatment
- Emotional Support – childhood cancer families are still restricted when it comes to gatherings, hospital visitation guidelines, school attendance and more. Over the last year it's become even more apparent just how important Candlelighters peer-to-peer support efforts are. Their weekly support group meetings have grown, and Candlelighters Parent Consultants (staff who are also parents of childhood cancer survivors) are working around the clock to touch base and check-in with families and their needs.
- Gas Cards & Grocery Cards – daily out-of-pocket costs continue to be a financial burden for childhood cancer families and Candlelighters is dedicated to making life easier by providing support to families in these ways.
- Memorial Funds - cancer hasn't quit unfortunately. Children are still being diagnosed and gaining their angel wings. Candlelighters provides financial assistance for families to hold memorial services for their children.
- Bell Ringing in a Box – Due to hospital restrictions, bell ringing celebrations (signifying the end of cancer treatment!) are not being allowed in the hospitals. Candlelighters is helping families celebrate their cancer survivor and this tremendous milestone with celebratory supplies for their bell ringing ceremony at home with their loved ones!
- Camp CLIFF - Candlelighters has held their annual family camp, Camp CLIFF, virtually the past two years, providing a weekend full of fun for the whole family at home. They are still in discussion with our Board of Directors (including pediatric oncologists) over this year's camping decision. Stay tuned! But donations will allow Candlelighters to host whatever camp we can safely - whether in person or virtual camp is a lifechanging experience for our childhood cancer families.
Whatever you can give, thank you for supporting me and for helping all the children with cancer and their families that Candlelighters serves!
Here's how you can help:
- Get inspired – watch this video
- Register for the Fun Walk by clicking the blue button at the top of this page that says "Join Team"
- Make a donation – even $15 helps by paying for one day of parking for a Candlelighters family!
- Share about the Fun Walk with your family and friends and ask that they join you on Walk Day – Saturday, September 10